Job City: Aurora
Job Province: Ontario
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Benefit Programs, the Disability Analyst is responsible for working with the Company’s Canadian Divisions related to the non-occupational disability benefit programs. In this capacity, the Analyst will work closely with the divisions to assist with the management of claims, and the disability benefit vendors to monitor claim status and ensure proper communication to divisions and employees. The Analyst will also be required to provide monthly progress reports and offer solutions for process improvements.
- Conducts thorough reviews of case files, working in conjunction with the vendors and Divisions to get the employee back to work in a timely and safe manner
- Assist with complex disability cases and provide guidance to Divisions
- Ensures a timely and appropriately coordinated transition of claims from STD to LTD, providing a well -managed and seamless claims experience to claimants
- Works with Divisions to identify solutions and ensure adherence to: return to work plans; accommodation of restrictions; and, return to full duties following sick leave or modified work.
- Manages and drives consistency in disability management processes
- Facilitates understanding by Divisions of non-occupational disability management processes and obligations, and accommodation assistance tools
- Provides advice, recommendations and claims management assistance to the Division staff and Senior Benefits Manager
- Creates and maintains a comprehensive disability management manual including conducting periodic reviews and updates to reflect current trends.
- Where necessary, assists the Division staff and disability managers to correspond with Magna employees and their physicians regarding identified restrictions and limitations where reasons for these are not clearly evident (e.g. no overtime permitted, no night shifts, day shift only, can only work in packaging department etc.)
- Determines when a complex case has reached a logical conclusion or impasse and makes recommendations to Division staff and disability managers respecting next steps including obtaining legal advice
- Liaises with the Magna legal department regarding termination of plant employees where disability issues are concerned – i.e. Frustration of employment contract
- Keeps abreast of best practices and industry standards for non-occupational disability
Knowledge and Education
- Must have extensive knowledge of disability policies and procedures from a technical perspective
- Must have working knowledge of insurance provisions, Ontario Employment Standards Act, Ontario Human Rights Code, and other relevant legislation
- Knowledgeable about disability management processes and best practices
- Studying for or have CEBS, FLMI is an asset
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in working with non-occupational disability claims
- Experience mentoring and training an asset
- Experience working in a highly decentralized environment as asset
- Experience in a unionized environment an asset
Skills and Competencies
- This position requires interaction with a diverse group of people including, but not limited to, employers, unions, physicians, insurers and others groups and/ or individuals
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Excellent decision making and problem solving skills
- Strong ability to perform functions with minimal supervision
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skill
- Strong multi-tasking, time-management, negotiation and skills
- Strong customer service mindset while being flexible and adaptable
- Strong diplomacy skills with an ability to be flexible and also give and take direction well
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships with Division staff
- Excellent documentation skills
- Strong computer literacy skills
- Understanding of medical terminology an asset
- Must be able to demonstrate a general knowledge of disability contracts, policies, and products and continued understanding of medical and rehab/return to work issues
How to Apply
For further information and to apply for this position, please go to https://www.magna.com/company/careers/list?jobId=800340&jobTitle=Disability%20Analyst&searchCriteria[key]=keywords&searchCriteria[values]=disability+analyst.
Accommodations for disabilities in relations to the job selection process are available upon request.